Senior Director of Development Operations
Title: Sr. Director
Focus: Development operations & Annual giving programs.
Reports to: Vice President of Development
Team Structure: This role will have responsibility for the management of JGI’s Annual Giving program, direct mail, database systems, and development operations teams. The role currently has four direct reports with the future opportunity to build out the team in accordance with JGI operational objectives and campaign preparation. This role will also manage a portfolio of up to 35 donors at the major gift level ($25,000 and above)
- Work closely with the Executive Director and the Vice President of Development to oversee the development and execution of strategies to significantly increase philanthropic support from individuals in the direct response, midlevel, and planned giving programs.
- Evaluate progress in achieving financial and management objectives; identify and align key metrics to
- Implement strategies and monitor progress to goals to strengthen the donor pipeline for major and
principal gifts; incorporate feedback from colleagues and adjust accordingly.
- Manage portfolio of up to 35 donors at the major gift level ($25,000+); move donors through the stages of cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
- Assume additional duties as needed to support the team, which may include, but are not limited to, donor
thank you calls and working with teams and/or individuals to improve processes and systems.
- Work closely with the Vice President to ensure that sound processes and data-informed decision-making guide the work of the Development team and incorporate industry best practices and an ethos of
- Review and approve existing and proposed donor recognition and engagement efforts to result in a world class stewardship experience; strategize future stewardship opportunities and solidify creation and rollout of stewardship efforts that support JGI; identify priorities for written communications for donors and prospects.
- Provide regular reports regarding Development program activities and progress to the senior leadership
team, Board of Directors, and others as appropriate.
- Oversee optimization of processes, systems, and infrastructure that support the timely acknowledgment,
renewal, stewardship, gift tracking, and reporting of donor impact; identify future opportunities for growth; safeguard data protocols and data fluency across the organization.
- Analyze Development program activities and benchmark with peer institutions to ensure JGI is employing best practices.
Prospect Research and Donor Management
- Oversee prospect research and prepare briefings and profiles; assist in prospect development and portfolio management and review.
- Create a comprehensive process for portfolio management that supports the needs of front-facing staff and honors JGI’s donor-centric approach.
- In strategic partnership with the Executive Director and the Vice President of Development, oversee the identification of potential members for the Board of Directors and lead efforts to help high-level volunteers leverage their respective networks to expand, cultivate, and upgrade the donor base.
- Ensure ongoing discovery of new major and principal gift prospects; analyze existing donors for potential for greater capacity.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Minimum ten years of progressive experience in fundraising organizations.
- Knowledge of techniques and best practices for individual fundraising and fundraising operations; experience advancing and executing fundraising strategies.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with campaigns, direct response, midlevel giving, planned giving, major gifts, prospect research, donor stewardship, constituent relationship management systems, and philanthropy operations.
- Experience leading and coaching experienced team members as well as managing highly effective and collaborative teams.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to successfully manage and build relationships with individuals, institutional foundations, Board, and members of the JGI community; ability to work collaboratively and create clarity within complex organizational structures.