Program Director, Uganda
The Program Director oversees the coordination and administration of all aspects of the ongoing JGI-Uganda country programs, including design, planning, and oversight of program activities.
- Engage in active, ongoing communication with the Executive Director, programs, and finance/operations staff, as well as program partners, as it relates to the promotion of effective programming aimed at the conservation of chimpanzees and their habitats.
- Provide leadership and hands-on management of the development, identification of potential funders, and submission of documentation (narrative, budgets monitoring and evaluation plan, work plan and support letter) and information for incorporation in JGI-Uganda’s response to grant solicitations.
- In collaboration with the Executive Director and Finance Manager, support the development, submission, and execution of Annual Operating Budgets in accordance with JGI-USA guidance and schedules for all JGI activities and programs in Uganda.
- Engage in hands-on supervision of all program activities to ensure their successful implementation in accordance with JGI and donor requirements.
- Monitor project accounts and controls for funding received from multiple sources.
- Conduct annual objective setting and performance appraisal process with direct reports. Motivate staff to ensure coordination and integration, collaborative communication, high level of productivity and accountability.
- Work with key stakeholders to establish a system to address the timely resolution of issues as they arise.
- Develop, update, and orient program staff to all project/program cycle management including program procedures and reporting mechanisms.
- Mentor staff and identify areas for training and/or improved performance.
- Ensure timely technical and financial reporting to donors, and all relevant stakeholders.
- Coordinate JGI program activities in Uganda with local, international, and regional partners.
- Ensure that all reporting (narrative and financial) to all donors and to JGI-USA for activities/ project/programs in Uganda are performed in accordance with reporting instructions and submitted in accordance with reporting schedules.
- Liaise with the Finance and Operations Office on matters related to administration and finance such as budgets, development and contracts and agreements.
- Represent JGI and its in-country projects to the Uganda government, other partners, and stakeholders.
- Maintain effective communications with JGI-USA and with other JGIs worldwide, as well as donors, as appropriate.
- Supervise and evaluate the country programs staff in Uganda to ensure compliance with all JGI strategies, policies, code of conduct, procedures, and guidelines and to ensure smooth project operations and effective staff performance.
Master’s degree or full professional qualification in wildlife management, biological sciences, environmental sciences, social sciences, forestry, natural resources management or related area. Qualifications in project planning and management important, but not required.
Past experience creating and managing highly-effective program teams is sought. Demonstrated experience successfully managing grants and creating strong working relationships with donors is essential. Successful candidates should have a broad-based knowledge of, and experience managing program teams focused on, integrated biodiversity conservation and community development and/or community-based natural resources management, and environmental education. Experience with population, health, and environment and One Health approaches is welcome, but not necessary.
Prior Work Experience:
At least 10 years working experience in a related field, five of which should be at a senior management level.
Fluency in speaking, reading, and writing English required. Strong communication skills, both interpersonal and written.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED FOR EFFECTIVE PERFORMANCE
- Financial management skills
- Organization and planning skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills