Manager, Major Gifts
The Jane Goodall Institute USA seeks a Manager of Major Gifts to be based in USA Headquarters office in Washington, DC. The Manager of Major Gifts supports the Vice President of Development in building and executing the Major Gifts program by identifying, cultivating, solicitating, and stewarding major donors and prospects in the $25K+ giving range. The Manager is an integral member of the Development team and works collaboratively to deepen JGI’s relationship with major donors bringing them closer to the organization and support the strategic growth of the pipeline of passionate donors to increase revenue from the Major Gifts program and advance JGI-USA’s goals.
The Manager will coordinate the planning and execution of Development stewardship and fundraising events and will work with others on the Development team as well as Program teams, Communications & Partnerships (C&P), Office of the Founder (OOF), and Finance departments to support the planning and execution of cross-departmental events. Additionally, the Manager will work with the Development Operations team to ensure the creation and refinement of major gift program processes, protocols, reports, and templates.
Founded in 1977, the Jane Goodall Institute USA (JGI-USA) is an international non-governmental organization that continues Dr. Jane Goodall’s pioneering animal research and global conservation mission. The breadth of the Jane Goodall Institute’s work reflects Dr. Goodall’s personal philosophy that the survival of all species depends upon collaboration, community, and valuing individuals’ contributions.
MAJOR GIFTS STRATEGY AND PROGRAM MANAGEMENT (50%)
- Support the VP of Development in the management of the major gifts program including managing a roadmap for future growth and coordinating the implementation and execution of the program to achieve fundraising goals.
- Assist in analyzing and building an overarching major gifts strategy based on mid-level and major donor data that is in line with the Development team’s overarching strategy.
- In partnership with the Executive Director, VP of Development, and other JGI-USA staff, develop and manage cultivation and solicitation plans and individualized goals and strategies for each major donor that is driven by the intersection of the donor’s passions and interests and programmatic priorities of JGI-USA.
- In collaboration with other Development staff, conceptualize and implement a moves management process between mid-level, major gifts, and planned giving to identify opportunities for upgraded giving.
- Manage the major gift pipeline by periodically updating lists, running reports to show portfolio progress, and demonstrate effective moves management.
- Manage the preparation for donor meetings, call sheets, briefing documents as well as manage the creation of presentations, proposals, and pitch decks for individual cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship.
- Manage the individual proposal development process, collaborating with others on the Development team, Programs teams, C&P, OOF, Finance, field leadership, and other technical experts in the development of high quality, accurate, and persuasive fundraising proposals to ensure high-quality proposals are delivered on time.
- Working with the Development Operations team organize and maintain leadership donor records in the database, including contact plans and history, prospect and research tracking, and proposal pipeline forecasting.
- Support the portfolio management of the Executive Director and VP of Development.
- Stay informed about trends and best practices in nonprofit fundraising and incorporate new ideas and strategies into their work.
EVENT MANAGEMENT AND SPONSORSHIP (40%)
- Serve as a key Development representative in supporting the cross-department planning and execution of events related to the bi-annual US speaking tours including managing logistics such as event briefs, invite list pulls, invitations, managing RSVPs, coordinating and documenting personalized follow-up.
- Manage, organize, and coordinate event sponsorships across departments to meet fundraising goals.
- Working with the Development team, plan and execute fundraising events, in coordination with staff members across teams involved in delivering the program as well as external partners including event hosts, to meet annual fundraising goals.
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, VP of Development, and others on the Development team, lead the planning and execution of several smaller cultivation and stewardship events in support of JGI-USA’s stewardship goals.
PROGRAM ANALYSIS AND BUDGET PLANNING (10%)
- In partnership with the VP of Development and Senior Director of Development Operations, coordinate monthly tracking of revenue and expense as well as MG pipeline reporting.
- Support the VP of Development in the Board recruitment process, including maintaining a transformative board candidates prospect list.
- Manage reports and custom dashboards that monitor the effectiveness and progress of the major gifts program.
- Provide high-level administrative support to the VP of Development including invoice/contract routing and processing, some travel and meeting coordination, proactive calendar management, call prep and briefings, file maintenance, and coordination of publication review schedules and deadlines.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- 3+ years of experience successfully supporting a fundraising program in a regional, national, or international organization as well as donor program management and demonstrated project management skills.
- Experience with conservation and environmental organizations preferred.
- Experience with family foundations, donor advised funds, community foundations, corporations, and planned giving preferred.
Additional Characteristics and Attributes
- Commitment to Jane and JGI-USA’s fundamental belief that every individual has a role to play and are empowered to contribute in an inclusive, supportive, and welcoming professional community.
- Sophisticated communication skills, both oral and written, and demonstrated ability to communicate with a diverse donor base both as a group and as individuals.
- Successful experience managing a blended donor treatment strategy in a fast-paced and changing environment.
- Successful experience working collaboratively with colleagues across multiple diverse teams and committed to driving activity that achieves or exceeds individual and team goals.
- Must be energetic, self-directed, detail-oriented, and able to work confidently and successfully in a fast-paced development operation with the commitment to driving activity that achieves or exceeds individual and team goals.
- Must be organized and capable of prioritizing and managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Absolute discretion and personal integrity in maintaining confidentiality and sensitivity with prospect and donor information.
- Solid working knowledge of fundraising databases such as Salesforce and proficiency in building presentations in a variety of tools including PowerPoint.
- The position will work out of JGI-USA’s Washington, DC headquarters with an expectation of some domestic travel.
At the Jane Goodall Institute we believe that when we can bring our whole selves to work on a day-to-day basis, we become happier, more comfortable, more confident, and more excited to do great things for our organization, each other, and our world.
The Jane Goodall Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to being an organization and a community where people thrive by being themselves and are inspired to do their best work every day. We value attracting diverse talent and we cultivate an inclusive environment that encourages collaboration and creativity. We strive to be a diverse workforce and believe that forming teams in which everyone can be their authentic selves from all different backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives is key to our success.
Come join the Jane Goodall Institute and be a part of a global organization where we are all proud to belong.
To apply for this position, please go to: https://www.janegoodall.org/about/jobs/
Open the position description for which you are applying and click apply.