Grants Compliance Manger
JOB TITLE: Grants Compliance Manager
REPORTS TO: Controller
JOB LEVEL: Mid-Level
LOCATION: Washington, DC USA Headquarters Office
This role takes the lead in ensuring all current and future grants and contracts receive requisite reporting and are stewarded at the highest level to promote future procurement of support. The Grants Compliance Manger will be the main point of contact and representative between JGI and external contract and/or grants officials.
The Grants Compliance Manager leads the Jane Goodall Institute's US Office grants compliance efforts integrating its work with the other departments, including Development, Finance, Communications, and Africa Programs and in addition to all field locations. The Grants Compliance Manager monitors all contracts and grants management operations to ensure the highest quality and best practices of contract and grants administration and compliance with legal and donor requirements across the organization.
Candidates in this position regularly perform the following duties and responsibilities:
Grant Management & Oversight
- Oversee technical, legal, financial, and administrative components of grant management for the entire organization, working effectively with the finance team, other departments, and senior management to ensure that JGI meets all technical, legal, financial and administrative grant requirements.
- Maintain grant oversight by recording the status of grants, forecasting and tracking grants and program budgets, and working with finance to track payout and legal requirements and all field locations for the effective management of grant funds.
- Responsible for integrity of grant-related data providing budget and grant award information to the organization’s management staff at headquarters and all field locations for effective management of grant funds.
- Ensure accuracy of manual and electronic grant files including but not limited to financial coding, reporting, and forms through use of periodic reconciliations and checks.
- Develop tools and indicators to ensure quality and timeliness of all aspects of grants processing and management to help ensure goals are met, including working with staff to generate various periodic (weekly, monthly, quarterly) and other ad-hoc reports.
- Coordinate with the appropriate colleagues in Development and/or Africa Programs to ensure institutional donors receive the highest level of stewardship on the use of grant funds.
- Convene monitoring meetings staff across departments to review program implementation, budgets, etc., and identify delays or other challenges that may impact compliance.
Organization Compliance and Grants Policy
- Ensure robust organizational grants and budget management systems and controls for maintaining compliance with all applicable organizational policies and procedures, U.S. and foreign laws and regulations, and donor rules and regulations. Continually evaluate JGI’s financial management system and grant tracking processes to identify opportunities to innovate and when necessary implement corrective actions.
- Ensure appropriate documentation and field implementation of projects in accordance with USAID and other donor policies and regulations.
- Develop and oversee standard terms and conditions for grant award letters, agreements and contracts.
- Review and update standard terms and conditions for grant award letters, agreements and contracts.
- Write and review memoranda of understandings, teaming agreements, contracts, sub- agreements, approval letters and modifications.
- Ensure proper protocols regarding project management from proposal to close out.
- Provide leadership and guidance to Country Directors, key headquarters managers to support all aspects of the contracts and grants process and provide technical support.
- Stay abreast of legal, regulatory, policy, and industry trends and emerging issues as they relate to the organization and resource constraints inherent in JGI's working environment. Assess and communicate the benefits and risks of adopting new grant policies, procedures, systems or technologies.
- Act as liaison between fundraising and financial teams and systems to ensure continuity, accuracy, and adherence to key processes.
Systems Development and Strategy Planning
- Develop guidelines, procedures, standards, work processes, flow charts, manuals, metrics and methodologies for a successful and comprehensive grant management system. Enhance grants and budget management tools, systems, and infrastructure to support the organization’s recent growth.
- Lead the grants management function by maintaining optimal workflow systems and procedures to administer JGI's grants; provide leadership and guidance to staff on implementation of new contracts and grants.
- Assist with developing and maintaining strong working relationships with key partners and stakeholders within a multi-disciplinary, multi-cultural environment.
- Working with relevant relationship managers assist with developing and maintaining strong working relationships with key partners and stakeholders within a multi-disciplinary, multi-cultural environment.
- Establish a methodology to track and report matching costs on grants.
- Lead efforts for all components of grant processing, including structure of grant payments, regulatory compliance, and sharing of grants information with program, finance, communications, and other relevant departments.
- Notify and resolve problems with program team leaders and senior management.
- Partner with headquarters and field-office management staff to provide training, build consensus, analysis and information on the management of organizational grants and budgets.
- Provide notification to Senior Management, the Controller, and Program Department heads if reports are in danger of being out of compliance.
- Performs other job-related duties as assigned.
ABOUT CANDIDATES for this position
Candidates with the following qualifications will be ideally suited for this position:
- A bachelor’s degree in finance or another related area of study
- Minimum of 4 years related non-profit grants experience, including proposal budget development, writing and post-award management.
- Experience and training with applicable U.S. Federal government circulars (OMB Circulars 110, A-122 and A-133), state and local regulations, and standard contract clauses.
- Extensive knowledge of the Uniform Guidance.
- Experience working in Africa is a plus.
- Advanced Excel skills a must.
- Ability and willingness to travel to the field (Africa)
- Intermediate to advanced French speaking skills a plus
Competencies of all senior JGI staff include:
- Experience managing, motivating, and inspiring excellence in a team
- High ethical standards
- Ability to build collaborative relationships and effective workgroups
- Ability to effectively communicate at all levels and with multiple constituents
- Independent thinker with strong customer service orientation, collaborative work style, and a team player
- Attention to detail
- Excellent organizational skills
- Desire to work for a mission-driven organization
Compensation & Benefits
Salary commensurate with training and experience. Competitive benefits package.
ANTI-DISCRIMINATION & HARRASSMENT POLICY
JGI prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by U.S. or International law.